Our aim is to improve life outcomes for women and their families in the most vulnerable communities in Kenya Africa.
We believe that working together at grassroots level with parents, other family members, communities, health sectors and others services will ensure we have the greatest impact on saving lives and improving health . Using a holistic approach to health is important to us.
Every 24 hours, 1,470 women die from complications in pregnancy or childbirth in Africa – that’s 1 in 20 women, or 1 in 17 in coastal regions. In the developed world, just 1 in 8,000 die. Approximately four million neonatal deaths and stillbirths are caused by inadequate maternal, antenatal or intra partum care. Infant mortality is 49 per 1,000 live births – increasing to 73 per 1,000 in the under fives.
Financial hardship, lack of information or choice, fear of professionals and inaccessibility of health services means that only 40% of women attend a health facility during pregnancy or birth. Women are left with severe obstretrical, urinary or bowel complications which cause them to be victimised within their communities. Many women leave orphaned children, who are at a much greater risk of dying within three years.
These are cruel and shocking statistics, as most of the causes are preventable and hardly witnessed in developed countries. These facts are unacceptable and highlight the need for prevention work.
Using a family health needs model and filling the gaps in service provision, we are able to:
- save lives of pregnant women and babies and improve their families’ lives.
- empower mothers and fathers to have the knowledge and confidence to make informed decisions about their pregnancy, birth and families’ health.
- support families to access the support and services they need to lead healthy and fulfilling lives.
- ensure every woman in our care will be healthy in pregnancy and be able to access health services for birth.
- support parents with the basic needs for their family.
- detect and treat HIV and support compliance with medication.
- ensure babes are safe and go on to be healthy and thrive, to enable children to reach their full potential.
- encourage fathers to participate in every aspect of their children’s lives.
- encourage uptake of family planning and safe sex.
- deliver a programme which is holistic and considers every aspect of the health of the mother, baby and their family life.
Our objectives are to:
- integrate this prevention model into local health structures.
- offer holistic health care to pregnant women and their families.
- implement a multi-faceted approach to improving family life and attainment.
- increase women’s access to midwifery and children’s health services.
- prevent women and children from dying from preventably causes.
- improve women’s confidence and self-esteem through health education.
- improve health outcomes for the whole family.
Our core values are:
- respect for human life
- high quality